5 May 2009

Personal bubbles

Okay you all know one - someone that sits that little bit too close, or touches you unexpectedly in inappropriate moments. Or hugs you on the second meeting. That isn't so bad depending on who it is. If it's the opposite sex it's sort of 'socially unacceptable'. And then there are the people who, if you and a friend are out having coffee, will sit at the table right next to yours, when there are empty tables all around you. And yet they sit beside you and either talk extremely loud, or don't talk at all and appear to be listening in on your conversation. Very strange. Don't parents teach kids what is 'socially acceptable' anymore? Mind you, it isn't just the young people. I had a friend in an acting class who would sit right next to me, touching arms. As a female, and he a male, it made me rather uncomfortable - I mean, I barely knew him, and so I would sort of lean away, or wait until he sat down, and then sit a comfortable distance away. He would often shift anyway, and it wasn't just me - he sat that close to everyone, male and female alike. It isn't creepy, just a little... awkward. But you get over it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. With as much stuff that goes through my mind, I never thought about this. Good blog. And you're right. I get hugged on the FIRST meeting. What is that all about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, Gloria - it seems it's just some people that do that. You know how you can usually 'feel' if it's appropriate to hug? I guess some people just don't have that little voice.

    ReplyDelete