19 Apr 2009

Small talk

Anyone who knows me well, knows I hate small talk. It's a recent development, and could quite rightly have gone under the 'pet peeve' post. But that's okay, it's my blog and I can do what I like. Even if the only people who read this are my best friends and my mother. Sad, yes it is. Anyway, I hate small talk. The worst offender is the good acquaintance/friend who says, "So how are you?" or "So what have you been up to?" That in itself is okay, just general conversation starters, everyone uses them to get into the meaningful stuff. It's when you say, "Well, the other day I started writing in my blog about my dead cat..." And you take a breath, which to them means - that is all that happened in your week, time for me to intervene with what I really wanted this conversation to be about - me. They begin to tell you what they were thinking about before your reply to their question so rudely interrupted. And so it begins. Another conversation comprised only of this other person and small talk which you aren't allowed to fully answer. Sigh.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment